javascript:void(0) images move me: The ambiance counts big time.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The ambiance counts big time.


The presentation of space makes all the difference. It has an effect of calming you or making you crazy. When I was in college, I took a class that I expected to like because of the subject-matter, 16th century plays (not for everyone, I realize). The professor was interesting on a theoretical level, but every time I stepped into the classroom, I became anxious and irritated. I didn't understand why until one time we had to have the class in another room. You see, the normal classroom had desks that were not nailed to the floor. People would intentionally or inadvertently move the desks to adjust themselves. Consequently, the rows became nonexistent and the desks were all scattered, all over the place. No order. Once, when we had to switch classrooms, we went to a room where the rows were stationary and the desks were all nailed down into perfect rows, evenly spaced and permanent. I felt more calm and structured in that one class than I had all semester. It was the space, I realized. The space made all the difference.

This appreciation of space is how I felt when I went to see a jazz band. I don't really like jazz; I don't understand the importance of the riffs; I don't know if the improvisation is a product of being a genius or of being unprepared. I went to see a jazz performance in an art museum, and that made all the difference. I went with my friend. She always dresses up pretty and always looks stylish and clean. So, I wanted to mirror that look. We walked--let's face it, we strutted!--into the art museum downtown. High heels, dark tights, coats with bright, solid, vibrant colors. The art museum was different at night. I had only ever been in the day. The light resembled Magic Hour (you know, the natural light at sunset when everyone looks good and pretty). The band was to perform in a big, open room where normally people would stand to admire the mural. Aaaah, this mural. It's my favorite. It's the mural of the autoworkers created by Diego Rivera. It's huge. 30 foot ceilings, both walls. So, the lights were dimmed, and the jazz band was set up in front of the mural. My friend and I sat in the back, sipping our $3 sodas and listening. The music was really relaxing and I found myself searching the mural that I had seen many times before. I wanted to experience the painting in this relaxed state, as I've only ever just sort of walked by it, not having the opportunity to sit and stare at one piece of it for an hour. I felt kind of in the painting, or at least in a surreal mood brought on by song and riffs and a forced calm that I decided to appreciate.

The band was called West 73rd. They are from New York City and had a mix of old and new jazz standards even with some Frank Sinatra thrown in. Even if you think you do not like a certain type of music, I recommend seeing a certain genre (one that is not familiar to you or understood by you) in a live setting, and not necessarily a club. Find a museum or an indoor waterpark or an apple orchard that is hosting a live band or featuring an art show. I'm not saying that the unexpected setting will make you appreciate the music any more or less; it's just that the setting will give you a totally new perspective on both the music and the arena in which it is featured. Just do it for the experience. You may surprise yourself and find that the quirkiness or the unexpectedness of your surroundings mixed with art really suits you. Even though I was in a museum surrounded by classified art, the Art that I experienced that evening was the clothes my friend and I wore against the backdrop of a mural marinated in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment