javascript:void(0) images move me: Sometimes, words move me so much

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sometimes, words move me so much




Yeah I know. Where's the review of Crazy Heart? What about the 10 most badass film heroines?

Fail. I know. But I can't make every trip here an apology.

Maus, the comic book by Art Spiegelman is one of my favorite books of all time. A story within a story, Spiegelman writes and draws about his dad's Holocaust experience. Jews are represented as mice, Nazis--cats.

Did I mention I have a mouse problem? I should say "mice problem" but the plural is so much more daunting. So, I have a mouse problem. Today my landlord said: "This is not an accusation but no one else in the building has reported mice problems." ANY SENTENCE THAT STARTS OFF WITH "THIS IS NOT AN ACCUSATION" IS VERY CLEARLY AN ACCUSATION. Does he think I am lying about a mouse problem? That I enjoy CALLING my LANDLORD? Talking to one's landlord is way up there with going to the dentist or watching "Thirtysomething" (Why Hershkowitz/Zwick? Why??) Or rather, that I am a pig, a slob, an unrepentant frat boy? Ugh...

Back to Maus. There's one passage that gets me every time. Art is talking to his therapist, discussing his forthcoming comic book about the Holocaust.
Here is the exchange:

Therapist: So, do you admire your father for surviving?
Art: Well...sure. I know there was a lot of LUCK involved, but he was amazingly present-minded and resourceful...
Therapist: Then you think it's admirable to survive. Does that mean its NOT admirable to NOT survive?
Art: whooosh...I-I think I see what you mean. It's as if life equals winning and death equals losing.
Therapist: Yes. Life always takes the side of life, and somehow the victims are blamed. But it wasn't the BEST people who survived, nor did the best ones die. It was RANDOM!
Therapist: Sigh. I'm not talking about YOUR book now, but look at how many books have already been written abou the Holocaust...What's the point? People haven't changed...Maybe they need a new, bigger Holocaust.
Therapist: Anyway, the victims who died can never tell THEIR side of the story, so maybe it's better not to have any more stories.
Art: Uh-huh. Samuel Beckett once said: Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
Art: On the other hand, he SAID it.

How perfect the passage is. How masterfully Spiegelman mixes in the weightiest concerns in the world with a dose of ultra reflexive humor. I won't describe it too much. What's that quote? Trying to talk about art is like trying to dance about architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment