javascript:void(0) images move me: The Devil Wears 27 Prada Dresses

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Devil Wears 27 Prada Dresses



Two movies. One screenwriter. I mean, is it even possible for two different people to come up with the fluff that is both The Devil Wears Prada AND 27 Dresses?

These are two really bad movies. But, they're bad in a really good way. If I catch either movie on HBO at any time of day, I can watch it without any problem. Yeah, I may have missed something here or there, but it really doesn't matter. I've never actually watched either of these all the way through from start to finish. So, every time the movie comes on and I see a different scene, I just think, "oh, so...that's how that next scene all comes together." No big deal. It's a surprise. And, since the plots of both are super predictible, all of the nuances you may miss mean pretty little. Don't even worry about them.

First, The Devil Wears Prada. So, we have this young woman (Anne Hathaway) who is recently graduated from some top-notch school and thinks she's hot shit. Needless to say, she's totally not into fashion, but she lands (in my humble opinion) a killer job in the fashion business. The only problem is that she works for a bitch (played by a "Maude" look-alike Meryl Streep). Of course, the boss lady is powerful in the industry and Hollywood would make her no less than a total nightmare to work for.

Anne Hathaway--who is pretty and likeable and adds somethin' somethin' to her role--finally gets her bangs cut and gets a wardrobe she could never afford. Aaahhh...she's finally looking better and is getting accepted by her boss and peers...I get it, alright? Plucking eyebrows equals pretty equals good job equals everyone loves you. That ugly duckling business never gets old...! Oh, and her boyfriend is Adrian Grenier (you know...from Drive Me Crazy). He has about as much charisma here as he had in Drive. He mopes throughout the movie because--what??!!--his girlfriend has to work. The nerve.

So, the story is blah, but the clothes are great. And, even though the audience is supposed to be totally against Meryl and all she stands for, I really love this movie because she has MY DREAM JOB. And, I really do not understand why Anne would want to leave her job to be at a no-paying newspaper desk. The fashions. The backstabbing. Paris. God, I LOVE the fashion industry.

And, here we are at 27 Dresses--another movie where the story is slight, and nothing completely dramatic happens and it's just a mundane ride. I think Katherine Heigl is really beautiful and she sort of lights up the screen. I don't know why anyone would buy her as the Ugly Sister. Well, she's not as blonde in this movie, so maybe they're right...!

Katherine is tall and statuesque and I kind of am into the Hot Guy in the movie (Corny Collins from Hairspray and the Prince from Enchanted). Anyway, the best part is when she actually tries on the 27 bridesmaid dresses. So, that should tell you something about the plot.

Watching these movies is kind of like watching The Real World. It doesn't matter if you start completely in the middle and catch the beginning at a later date. You'll figure out what's going on. Devil is definitely better, but 27 is a close second. Do not rent these movies. They're only good if you happen to come across them on television. You'll be sucked in. And, you'll know how much they suck, but...that's not really the point.

3 comments:

  1. I want to see Year of the Dog - worth it?

    And I MISS YOU!

    - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. JEFF! I think about you and how totally adorable you are and how I never see you and I'm so jealous of all your little pupils. Grrrr.

    And, YES!, see Year of the Dog. I might visit Steph over Spring Break...and stop by to see you??!! LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I feel the exact same way about these movies. I really wanted to hate 27 dresses, but I didn't. I was flipping channels the other night and there it was right smack in the middle and I watched it! The best part of The Devil... is Meryl Streep's short gray hair, perfect look for the part and only she would have known that!

    ReplyDelete