javascript:void(0) images move me: The Watcher in the Woods

Friday, January 15, 2010

The Watcher in the Woods



When I was about 5 or 6 years old, I loved The Watcher in the Woods...LOVED it. I don't really remember the plot, but I do remember not really understanding what was going on even back then. I just loved the tone of the movie. It's really creepy. Two sisters come to live in the countryside and there is an old neighbor lady who stares at them through the upstairs window. The little sister begins seeing images or getting possessed due to the death of another girl's spirit (Karen) roaming around the grounds.

There are so many parts that I never understood, but both scared me and intrigued me. The older sister (the ice skater from Ice Castles!) gets choked in a river. The little sister, however, is really eerie because she identifies with the ghost. So, for me, the most resonating moment of the movie is when the little girl writes the word Karen on a window and reads it backwards. Nerak. She decides to call her dog that. The reason that part was so disturbing to me is that I actually do speak words backwards all the time. So, as a little girl watching this possessed little girl do something that I had always done made me feel like the freak I have since become.

I'm going to watch this movie again to see if it still creeps me out. And, if you speak or say words backwards, well...you may have found your kindred spirit in the little girl in the movie. Be afraid...be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment